International Students

Georgetown University admits and enrolls students from many countries. Students who are neither citizens nor permanent residents of the United States are considered “international students.” These students are usually in the United States on either an F-1 or J-1 visa, and will return to their home country upon completion of their studies. The Federal Work Study Program is available for United States citizens and permanent residents only.

All international students should visit the International Student and Scholar Services On-Campus Employment page to determine their rights and responsibilities while in the United States and as a student and employee at Georgetown University. International Student and Scholar Services is located at 3520 Prospect St. NW, Car Barn Suite 210. They can be reached at 202-687-5867. We recommend making an appointment first, especially if this will be your first time working in the United States.

During their first year of study, international students may be eligible to work a limited number of hours on-campus, with the appropriate permissions. After their first year of study, international students may be eligible for work both on- and off-campus for a limited number of hours and under limited circumstances, again with the appropriate permissions. For more information concerning employment related immigration regulations governing international students, please contact the Office of Global Services.

All students who have an offer of employment will need to complete the form I-9 and all appropriate tax forms – including international students.

International students will also need to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) as part of the new job process. Once a student receives an offer of employment, he or she should work with the hiring department to complete the Social Security On-Campus Employment Form. Once that form is completed and printed on the hiring department’s letterhead, it should be taken to the Office of Global Services for the necessary signatures. The student can them complete the application for a Social Security Card – for more information about this process, please see the International Student and Scholar Services On-Campus Employment page.