Unrelated Business Income
As a 501(c)(3) organization, Georgetown University is generally exempt from income tax. However, under certain circumstances income it receives may generate an income tax liability.
Generally, if the income received meets all three of the following criteria, it constitutes Unrelated Business Income (UBI);
- It is income from trade or business
- Such trade or business is regularly carried on by the organization
- The conduct of such trade or business is not substantially related (other than through the production of funds) to the organization’s performance of its exempt functions
Items to note:
- There are exceptions and exclusions to unrelated business income.
- Sponsorship payments can generate UBI if not classified as an “Qualified Sponsorship Payment” as defined by the IRC.
- University Departments should always follow the Web Advertising and Sponsorship.
- The Tax Department is currently reviewing the FY19 Georgetown University Annual Tax Department Questionnaire, which was due August 15, 2019 from Main Campus, Medical Center, University Services and the Law Center. To assist with completing the survey, we provided this preparation sheet. If you have not already provided your department’s survey, please let us know.
- Please e-mail email@example.com with questions.