Getting ready to telework
Posted in Announcements
Beginning Monday, March 16, the university is moving to a virtual learning environment and, as a consequence, is also moving to an operating status of a telework flexible environment. Here’s what you need to know about editing your WordPress site from an off-campus location:
- You don’t need a VPN to log in and edit your site. Instead, you can simply go to your favorite browser on any device, and use the regular link to log in.
- We will continue to host office hours, but appointments will be entirely on Zoom for the time being. Otherwise, office hours remain the same: every Tuesday, 2:30–3:30 p.m., and you can sign up for an appointment slot at the usual link.
- Web Services is expecting an influx of service requests over the next couple of weeks. No worries, we’re (virtually) here for you! Now more than ever, it is important to be as clear and thorough as possible when you email us with a request. If you send us an email, be sure to include the exact URL of the page you are working on, a clear and thorough description of what you need, and the steps you took to resolve any issues or make a specific edit. If you’re asking for editing rights to a site, please copy the site owner—it will usually be your supervisor. A heads-up that we might ask to talk to you via Zoom in order to avoid a lot of back-and-forth at a time when we expect an increase in requests.
- The main source of University information regarding COVID-19 can be found at georgetown.edu/coronavirus. A comprehensive list of resources for virtual teaching, working and learning is at uis.georgetown.edu/work-wherever-you-are. Feel free to share these resources with your coworkers. Please refrain from posting COVID-19 information on your department or unit’s WordPress site. If your unit has additional guidance that you think would be best to share, please contact email@example.com.
- It is important that all of your site’s content and online resources are accessible so that all audiences are aware of any changes to courses, operating status, and expectations. Please review our web accessibility site for refreshers and answers to some FAQs.
- The WordPress and Accessibility training courses will continue to be held online in Canvas. You can take (or re-take) them at any time.
- If you need help with online course materials such as Canvas, you will get the fastest, most comprehensive reply by using the internal help system within Canvas (it’s the last option of the blue admin menu at the left when you’re logged in). If that doesn’t work, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please email us if you have any other concerns about your site or our services while operating in a telework flexible environment. Take care, and stay healthy.