The use of a Cover Block can introduce accessibility issues to your website. We highly discourage the use of a Cover Block unless it is absolutely necessary, and the content cannot be conveyed using another block.
Please reach out to Web Services if you have a content need and feel that the Cover Block is the best solution. This includes incorporating colors related to a campaign or social movement, and other needs.
Cover Block Guidance
The following are recommendations to follow when deciding if and where a Cover Block is needed:
- Before choosing a Cover Block, please review our other blocks and consider if it would be more appropriate to use another block.
- The use of an image can cause color contrast issues; If the use of an image is needed with a cover block, the following are considerations to keep in mind:
- The foreground text is the most important element of the cover block, the image is there to support the foreground text’s meaning.
- Select an image that is less busy overall.
- Be sensitive to the COVID-19 environment—such as social distancing and the use of personal protective equipment in public spaces.
- When using an image as a background with a foreground text:
- Use the default white color as your foreground text color.
- For the background image, the black scrim/overlay is the default. Any changes will not work.
- For COVID-19 Updates or announcements, we recommenced a Callout or Media and Text Block: a Cover Block is rarely necessary.